If your child (or the class bubble) needs to self isolate, Mrs Pring will be in contact with home learning when it is necessary.
Teaching Team: Mrs Pring, Mrs Packham, Mrs Allee and Mrs Tompsett
Mrs Pring, Mrs Tompsett, Mrs Packham and Mrs Allee
Dear Willow Class Parents and Carers,
Welcome to Year 1! We are very excited to be spending this year with your children and are really looking forward to getting to know everyone. The class teaching team this year will be myself (Mrs Pring), Mrs Allee (Monday) and Mrs Packham (Tuesday to Friday). Mrs Tompsett will teach the children on Thursday when I have some time out of class.
Some housekeeping points:
• We will have P.E. every Wednesday afternoon and Thursday morning. Please could you ensure your child has their PE kit in school on these days.
• Children should not be wearing jewellery to school apart from small stud earrings. If possible please send your child in without earrings on PE days. Alternatively we will cover earrings with microporous tape for PE lessons but this is not ideal.
• Long hair needs to be tied back, particularly on PE days. This is for health and safety reasons and can prevent the spread of hair lice.
• Please make sure that ALL items of school uniform, including coats and book bags, are clearly named. This will prevent any items going missing or being picked up accidently. Searching for missing items of clothes can be distressing for the children and very time-consuming for adults.
• We encourage every child to drink water during the school day, so please provide your child with a named water bottle to use in school. If you forget your child’s water bottle, please speak to a member of staff in the morning and we will be happy to make sure they have a cup to drink from for that day.
• Please also make sure that your child has a waterproof coat with them in school as we will be playing outside as much as we can despite the English weather!
• As the children are now in Key Stage 1, please say goodbye on the playground before they enter the classroom. Children should arrive at school between 8:30am and 8:50am and go into school via the Willow Class outside area. If you arrive after 8:50am, please send your child via the main entrance/office so that we are aware they have arrived and can make sure their lunch choice is recorded.
• Children will be dismissed from the classroom in a similar way to when they were in Acorn Class. An adult will be at the door of the classroom and children will come out once their adult has arrived to pick them up. The playground can become quite congested, so please move away from the outside gate once you have collected your child.
• If someone else is collecting your child, please tell a staff member in the morning or telephone the school office if arrangements change during the day.
• Toys from home should not be brought into school.
• We expect all children in Year 1 to read at home for at least 10 minutes, 5 times per week. Please send your child's book bag and reading record into school every day. Books are changed by Mrs Packham and Mrs Allee when children’s reading records indicate they have finished their books. Please remember to write in your child’s reading record so that we can change the books as necessary. If your child is struggling with particular words or a particular book, please also indicate this in their reading record so that we are aware and can make adjustments.
This term’s learning is going to concentrate on settling the children back into school and learning new rules/routines to keep everyone safe. During the first 4 weeks of term, we will be identifying the children’s current phonics, reading and maths skills through some activities and assessments. This will help identify gaps in the children’s knowledge and help to plan for the next steps in their learning. Over this term we will be covering:
English and Communication: Basic sentence structures including using a full stop at the end of each sentence, using finger spaces between words and where to use capital letters or lower case letters. We will also be learning correct letter formation and writing using different styles (Descriptive Writing, Narrative, Recounting a story, Instructions, Using Labels, Lists and Captions).
Maths: Place Value (within 10), Addition and Subtraction (within 10), Shapes, Place Value (within 20) including correctly formed numbers, counting in 1s, 2s, 10s and recalling number bonds for 10 and 20.
Religion and Values: What Christians believe God is like and why Christians celebrate Harvest Festival and Christmas.
Science and Computing: Everyday Materials and their Properties, Seasonal Changes in Autumn, Humans, Online Safety, Grouping and Sorting information, Technology Outside of School.
Design and the Arts: Making clay models, drawing/painting self-portraits, exploring different art materials and colours, responding to music and performing and singing songs.
Time and Place: Learning about our immediate surroundings including some features of our homes and town.
Sport, Exercise and Health: Infant Agility, Core skills, Football competition
More details on home learning tasks and our Meet the Teacher event will be sent out at a later date.
If you have any concerns or queries about information included in this letter or any other matter relating to your child’s education, please do not hesitate to contact us via the class email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Willow Team