If your child (or the class bubble) needs to self isolate, Miss Mercer will be in contact with home learning when it is necessary.
Teaching Team: Miss Mercer, Miss Stephens and Miss Lilliott
Dear Oak Parents/Carers,
We are so excited to welcome all pupils back to school this week. We would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for the hard work and resourcefulness you have shown during this most recent period of school closure.
As our school opens again to all children, we are writing to remind you of the home learning provision that is in place while school is open so that we can work together to best support your child while at school and at home. We are also writing to inform you of how we are planning to support pupils to continue to learn from home during periods of isolation and indeed future periods of partial/whole school closure.
Please read the following information carefully and do not hesitate to contact your child’s class teacher directly if you have any questions or queries.
If your child is able to attend school on a full time basis, the diet of home learning activities that they will now receive is as follows:
- Weekly Learning Update: Each week we will publish a weekly learning update on Google Classroom. This will keep you updated on your child’s main learning activities for the upcoming week.
- Reading: We expect all children in Year 6 to read for at least 25 minutes, 5 times per week. We kindly request that book bags and reading records are brought in to school every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
- Online Activities: Each week, your child will be set online learning activities on Google Classroom. New activities will be set each Monday and should be submitted via Google Classroom by the following Monday. If you are unable to access Google Classroom at home, please contact your child’s class teacher directly so that a home learning book and paper copies of learning activities can be arranged.
- Wider Curriculum Activities: All additional wider curriculum activities will be set and submitted on Google Classroom.
If your child needs to learn from home because they are isolating, families should:
- Read the Weekly Learning Update each Monday to establish which of these learning activities can be completed at home individually and/or with parental support. If you require additional support from your child’s class teacher, please contact them directly via the class email address.
- Increase the amount of time you spend reading from 25 minutes to at least 40 minutes, 5 times per week. Parents can support their child to engage with the text that they are reading by referring to the ‘7 Top Tips to Support Reading at Home’ document that is attached to this correspondence. If you would like advice on how to support your child’s reading during a period of isolation or would like to arrange the collection of reading material, please contact your child’s class teacher directly via the class email address.
- Complete the weekly online Maths/SPAG activity that has been set. When such activities have been completed, please send an email notifying your child’s class teacher that additional online activities are required. If appropriate, your child’s class teacher will set additional online activities and send details for how they can be accessed.
- Use Google Classroom to access the Maths/Writing activities that have been set. When such activities have been completed and submitted, your child’s class teacher can then provide your child with feedback on their learning. If appropriate, your child’s class teacher will set additional Maths and Writing activities to be completed. If you need any support or guidance on the completion of Maths or Writing activities while your child is learning from home, please do not hesitate to contact your child’s class teacher via the class email address.
- Use Google Classroom to complete the wider curriculum activities that have been set. When such activities have been completed and submitted, your child’s class teacher can then provide your child with feedback on their learning.
In the event of a full or partial school closure, a personalised programme of home learning will be provided for your child:
- All learning activities will be set on and submitted on Google Classroom.
- Live lessons and learning videos will be added to Google Classroom to introduce pupils to new and tricky concepts. .
- Google Classroom and the class email address will be used for communication between parents/pupils and teacher.
If you have any questions or queries relating to any matter discussed in this correspondence or indeed any matter relating to your child’s learning, please do not hesitate to contact us via the class email address.
Many thanks for your continued support,
The Oak Team