Home Learning Page
Dear Beech Parents/Carers,
We are so excited to welcome all pupils back to school this term. We are writing to inform you of the home learning provision that is in place for your child this year so that we can work together to best support your child while at school and at home. Please read the following information carefully and do not hesitate to contact your child’s class teacher directly if you have any questions or queries.
From this week, here is the diet of home learning activities that your child will receive in Year 2:
- Weekly Learning Update: Each week we will post a weekly learning update on the Year 2 Blog. This will keep you updated on your child’s main learning activities for the upcoming week.
- Reading: We expect all children in Year 2 to read for at least 10 minutes, 5 times per week. We kindly request that book bags and reading records are brought in to school every day. Please sign your child’s reading record every time that they read at home and clearly indicate when your child has finished with a book so we can replace it.
- Building a love of reading: We want children to develop a love of reading. Sharing stories and books with an adult at home can be a lovely way to do this. Reading to your child, making predictions about what might happen next in a story, looking for familiar words in books, on food packets and in shops can all be fun ways to build children’s reading skills.
- Online Activities: Each week, your child will be set an online learning activity. This will alternate between an online phonics/spelling activity and an online Maths activity. You can find details of this activity each week by visiting the Year 2 Blog. All relevant passwords and login details will be stuck into your child’s home learning book.
- Home Learning Books: Each week, we will send pupils home with an activity to complete in their home learning book. This will alternate between a Maths activity and a Writing activity. In Beech Class, home learning books will be handed out every Wednesday and collected every Monday. We will also upload this activity onto the Year 2 Blog along with any digital resources (learning videos for example) that may support your child with their learning at home. This work can be submitted by returning your child’s home learning book or by sending it in via the class email address: email@example.com.
- Wider Curriculum Activities: A wider curriculum activity matrix is currently being created for your child. When it is complete, we will stick a copy into your child’s home learning book and add a digital version to the Year 2 Blog. Completion of these activities is not compulsory and families can choose how many of these activities they complete each term. If your child would like to share a completed wider curriculum activity with their teacher, they can put it in to their home learning book and hand it in or send it in via the class email address.
If you have any questions or queries relating to any matter discussed in this correspondence or indeed any matter relating to your child’s learning, please do not hesitate to contact us via the class email address.
Many thanks for your continued support,
The Beech Team