Home Learning Page
Dear Maple Parents/Carers,
We are so excited to welcome all pupils back to school this term. We are writing to inform you of the learning provision that is in place for your child this year, so that we can work together to best support your child while at school and at home.
Please read the following information carefully and do not hesitate to contact your child’s class teacher directly if you have any questions or queries.
The diet of home learning activities that they will now receive is as follows:
- Weekly Learning Update: Each week we will post a weekly learning update on the Year 3 Blog. This will keep you updated on your child’s main learning activities for the upcoming week.
- Reading: We expect all children in Year 3 to read for at least 15 minutes, 5 times per week. We kindly request that book bags and reading records are brought in to school every day. Books are generally changed on Mondays and Thursdays.
- Online Activities: Each week, your child will be set an online learning activity. This will alternate between an online SPAG activity and an online Maths activity. You can find details of this activity each week by visiting the Year 3 Blog. All relevant passwords and login details will be stuck into your child’s home learning book.
- Home Learning Books: Each week, we will send pupils home with an activity to complete in their home learning book. This will alternate between a Maths activity and a Writing activity. In Maple Class, home learning books will be handed out every Tuesday and collected every Monday. We will also upload this activity onto the Year 3 Blog along with any digital resources (learning videos for example) that may support your child with their learning at home. This work can be submitted by returning your child’s home learning book or by sending it in via the class email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wider Curriculum Activities: A wider curriculum activity matrix is currently being created for your child. When it is complete, we will stick a copy into your child’s home learning book and add a digital version to the Year 3 Blog. Completion of these activities is not compulsory and families can choose how many of these activities they complete each term. If your child would like to share a completed wider curriculum activity with their teacher, they can put it in to their home learning book and hand it in or send it in via the class email address.
If your child needs to learn from home for any reason, families should:
- Read the Weekly Learning Update each Monday to establish which of these learning activities can be completed at home individually and/or with parental support. If you require additional support from your child’s class teacher, please contact them directly via the class email address.
- Increase the amount of time you spend reading from 15 minutes to at least 30 minutes, 5 times per week. Parents can support their child to engage with the text that they are reading by referring to the ‘7 Top Tips to Support Reading at Home’ document that is attached to this correspondence. If you would like advice on how to support your child’s reading at any time or would like to arrange the collection of reading material, please contact your child’s class teacher directly via the class email address.
- Complete the weekly online Maths/SPAG activity that has been set. When such activities have been completed, please send an email notifying your child’s class teacher that additional online activities are required. If appropriate, your child’s class teacher will set additional online activities and send details for how they can be accessed.
- Use the Year 3 Blog to access the Maths/Writing activity that has been set. When such activities have been completed, please send an email submitting the completed work to your child’s class teacher. Your child’s class teacher can then provide your child with feedback on their learning. If appropriate, your child’s class teacher will set additional Maths and Writing activities to be completed. If you need any support or guidance on the completion of Maths or Writing activities while your child is learning from home, please do not hesitate to contact your child’s class teacher via the class email address.
- When available, use the wider curriculum activity matrix to select additional learning activities to complete. Pupils are welcome to complete as many of these activities as they wish during their period of isolation. Pupils can submit completed pieces of learning by sending them into their class email address. Your child’s class teacher can then provide your child with feedback on their learning.
The Maple Team